Khalsa Women’s mistakes cost them three points on the road

The ladies first team travelled to Nottingham for a highly anticipated game against fellow strugglers Long Eaton last weekend. Khalsa were in pursuit of their first 3 points of the season and after the midweek departure of their former manager and first team coach, the ladies team needed no further motivation to bring to the game.

Initially the game was balanced with both teams breaking the lines to come close to their attacking goals.

However it was Long Eaton that game closest, clipping the cross bar from a setback on the edge of the box.

Khalsa began to dominate play with Long Eaton struggling to find their only outlet and potential play maker upfront. Khalsa were on top, dominating possession and attacking down either flank as Long Eaton struggled to deal with the width and movement of Glover and Dulay.

Khalsa created their best chance of the half as Ball played a defence splitting through ball which found Glover who had once again pushed forward and lost her marker. Her well drilled cross met Parson’s oncoming run, but unfortunately her rocket shot flew straight past the far post and out for a goal kick.

The teams looked to be going in all square at the break, however a miscommunication occurred when trying to play out from at the back which saw the ball thrown to Long Eaton’s number 10, whose quick thinking and accurate lob, cleared Parkes in goal and dropped into the Khalsa net.

The second half mirrored the first with Khalsa camping in Long Eaton’s half for the majority of the play. Khalsa were now finding the gaps in the Long Eaton defence with both Parsons and Walker charging past the back four to latch onto various passes.

The players in the centre of midfield for Khalsa were pick pocketing their opposition and utilising the width from the full backs to create opportunity after opportunity. Against the run of play Long Eaton found themselves two goals up, after Khalsa had committed players forward it left a one v one Long Eaton attack. The Long Eaton striker kept hold of the ball whilst creating enough space to snatch at a long distance shot.

Unfortunately this found its way past Parkes to the raptures of Long Eaton fans. Khalsa continued to press and should have scored with 10 minutes to go. Turbill found herself alone at the back post as the ball came across, but a scrambling Long Eaton keeper managed to hook away her left footed shot.

Another game where Khalsa look to have made positive steps forward on the field but not converted the opportunity into points. With a positive and driven addition now added to the coaching team, Khalsa look to turn plans into points in their next league game away at TNS.