Sporting Khalsa vs Hereford FC

Preseason friendly


Sporting Khalsa



Hereford FC


14th July 2018 | 3:00 pm
The Guardian Warehousing Arena


Mykel Beckley – quality finish just before the break to put Khalsa back in it

After nine months in exile, Khalsa returned to the Aspray Arena, going toe-to-toe with Southern League Premier Champions Hereford in an up-tempo preseason clash.

With the stadium having been transformed since Bromsgrove’s visit in the FA Vase last November, there was a celebratory feeling to proceedings before the match which soon evaporated at kick off.

Two quick-fire first half goals by the visitors appeared to point towards this being a one-sided affair.

First, a nifty move down the right on ten minutes saw Harry Franklin put in a cross which was turned in by Lance Smith past Sam Arnold, the first goal scored at the new-look stadium.

Six minutes later the powerhouse striker Mike Symons doubled the lead, latching onto a shot by Smith which rattled the crossbar following more good work down the right flank.

But Khalsa stemmed the flow and wrestled their way back into the game.

Mykel Beckley pulled one back just before half-time, lobbing the Hereford keeper from distance after being put through on goal.

With the temperature rising in the second half and a raft of substitutions being made, the game became a tad disjointed.

But Khalsa arguably had the upper hand for much of it and, on two occasions in particular, might well have equalised.

Bulls substitute keeper Jacquil Hill produced a smart save from Beckley just after the restart and with ten minutes to go, Josh Thomas latched onto a probing right wing cross but was just unable to direct his effort goalwards.

With just seconds on the clock, Hereford put the game beyond doubt, Harry White finishing in style past substitute keeper Dale Reaney after a bit of disappointing defending by the home side.

Khalsa’s next preseason game is on Tuesday at Wednesfield (kick of 7.45pm).

Sporting Khalsa fixtures 2018-19