Sporting Khalsa vs Cadbury Athletic

FA Cup Preliminary Round


Sporting Khalsa


  • Mensah Kinch - 2 goal(s)
  • Craig Bannister - 2 goal(s)

Cadbury Athletic


29th August 2015 | 3:00 pm
Aspray Arena


Mensah Kinch - give him an inch, give him an inch, give him an inch....
Mensah Kinch – give him an inch, give him an inch, give him an inch….

Khalsa made club history by making it to the first qualifying round of the FA Cup for the first time, setting up a mouthwatering clash with neighbours AFC Wulfrunians in a fortnight. The man of the moment was very much winger Mensah Kinch who was at his unplayable best and whose two first half goals effectively won the match for the home side.

In honesty, Cadbury hardly had any possession in the final third and Khalsa keeper James Pemberton was able to enjoy a quiet afternoon.

Brad Lawley headed down a Craig Bannister cross on four minutes, enabling Dave Meese to try an overhead kick from ten yards, which was comfortably gathered by Shaun Hayes.

The visiting keeper came to Cadbury’s rescue ten minutes later, Bannister feeding Marvin Nisbett who raced through but Hayes saved well with his feet. Bannister was the provider as Khalsa broke the deadlock on 23 minutes, sliding a fine pass through the Cadbury defence which Kinch raced onto and prodded past Hayes as he came racing out.

Just before half time Kinch doubled the lead, lobbing the keeper from the edge of the box with an audacious effort which bounced in off the foot of the post.

The second half should have seen Bannister open his account, his weak header failing to trouble the keeper after 49 minutes. And just seconds later Hayes produced a fine save as Bannister charged through on goal after a pinpoint pass by Meese.

Meese and Bannister then combined down the right, the later whipping in a fine cross which somehow evaded both Mike Perks and the lurking Nisbett.

Bannister got the goal his efforts deserved on 67 minutes, finishing in style in a crowded penalty area to make it three.

Carlo Franco was brought down for what looked like a stonewall penalty on 78 minutes but nothing was given. Undoubtedly the high point of the game for Khalsa came on 80 minutes when Rich Golding came on as substitute for Tes Robinson, his first competitive fixture for Khalsa in almost a year.

And his arrival led to another Khalsa goal, Nisbett’s brilliant work breaking through and shielding the ball from the keeper enabled Bannister to collect on the edge of the box and lash into the far corner of the net.

An effort by substitute Callum Cooper two minutes later from long range was tipped over by Hayes and then, as the match crept towards a conclusion, the keeper saved again as Bannister rampaged into the box in search of his hat-trick.

Sporting Khalsa: James Pemberton; Carlo Franco, Tim Jackson, Joe Rogers (captain), Tes Robinson (Richard Golding); Mike Perks, Brad Lawley, Dave Meese (Callum Cooper), Marvin Nisbett, Mensah Kinch; Craig Bannister. Subs not used: Rikardo Reid, Jordan Uppal, Orlando Davis, Kane Cork.

First team results 2015-16