Sporting Khalsa vs Long Eaton United

Total Motion Midland Football League


Sporting Khalsa



Long Eaton United


26th January 2019 | 3:00 pm


Alex Woodhouse – last gasp volley almost led to an equaliser

Khalsa’s run of four league wins on the bounce came to a juddering halt with a 2-0 home defeat against Long Eaton, meaning Khalsa have failed to beat their East Midlands opponents in four attempts.

On a rain lashed afternoon, this was a high-tempo affair with both sides guilty of wasting opportunities although Khalsa much more guilty.

Sean Williams had a great opportunity after just nine minutes, a goal kick was flicked on and he reached the ball before the keeper and poked it in the right direction but the ball bounced agonisingly wide of the post.

As the rain made play very challenging, it took until the half hour for any more drama as Kameron Campbell’s shot was pushed by Sam Arnold onto the crossbar.

Just before the break Dan Westwood forced the first of a string of great stops from Elliot Taylor in the Long Eaton goal, cutting in from the right and lashing a shot which the keeper somehow got a body part on and deflected over.

After the restart, Khalsa began brightly with Williams terrorising the visitor’s defence twisting and turning before firing a shot wide of the near post. Westwood then had Khalsa’s best chance of the game, finding himself in space and hitting the post from a tight angle.

Three minutes later and Taylor pulled off another good stop, keeping out Westwood’s effort and a deflection off one of his own players in a goalmouth scramble as Khalsa felt they were getting closer.

Another three minutes and another great stop by Taylor, this time from Alex Perry from ten yards.

Despite Khalsa’s dominance of the chances, Long Eaton showed they were still a threat. A Romaine Graham header bounced off the Khalsa crossbar with Arnold beaten all ends up on 73 minutes before, at the other end just moments later, Josh Thomas capitalised on a rare bit of slack defending by Charlie Scanlon but poked his effort agonisingly wide of the post.

The moments of reckoning came as the game moved into the final ten minutes. First, the referee waved away appeals for a stonewall penalty as Tes Robinson was sent crashing in the penalty area before, just moments later on the break, Jack Duffy smashed a shot past the despairing grasp of Arnold to put the visitors ahead.

It was a similar turn of events deep into injury time as Khalsa pressed for an equaliser. Alex Woodhouse volleyed on the angle, forcing one final excellent stop from Taylor.

And in the dying moments, a goal of true embarrassment for Khalsa. Somehow, from their own throw in, the ball ended in the back of the net as an Arnold clearance was charged down and ended with Henry Bestwick rolling the ball into the net to compound Khalsa’s misery.

Sporting Khalsa: Sam Arnold, Carlo Franco, Alex Woodhouse, Shawn Boothe (Mykel Beckley), Tes Robinson (captain), Alex Perry (Mensah Kinch), Dave Meese, Liam Armstrong, Dan Westwood (Jay Holdcroft), Josh Thomas, Sean Williams. Subs not used: Adam Osbourne, Nicky Turton.

First team results 2018-19